The average wedding produces 400-600lbs of waste. Let’s change that!
5 Steps to a planning a Green Wedding:
- Select a venue with natural decor and flowers. Try to limit the amount of single use flowers. Flowers from ceremony can again be used for reception and even favors.
- Cut your guest list down. Less people, less waste!
- Use local organic food
- Go digital for invites, save the dates, and thank you. Choose recycled paper.
- Have bridesmaids wear a dress they already own.
- Rent your dress from www.renttherunway.com
- Browse www.recycledbride.com for all wedding things reused.
- Rent as much decor and items from wedding rental professionals like www.abbyecreative.com and http://somethingborrowedpdx.com/. Avoid single use items as much as possible.
- Get thrifty!
- Left over flowers to http://thebloomproject.org/, nursing homes, hospitals
- Left over food to homeless shelters, soup kitchens
- Post your leftover items online for others
- Use durable glass dishwater and flatware, not disposables.
- Provide recycling bins that are properly labeled (Cans, Glass, Cardboard boxes) and hire a professional to manage this! aka Me!
- Food scraps into compost bin.
- If single use dishes and cups must be used make sure they are compostable and they get to the correct facility after the event!
- You have done steps 1-4, congratulations there is nothing left for the landfill!